Tuesday 31 May 2011

Common Islam, you can do better!


Okay. I am sick of Islam. Over the last few weeks I have been in contact with an Islamic girl over facebook. She has attempted to convert me many times. I have generally stayed silent and just let her do her little cyber missionary thing. But the other day I got board and finally asked her why she believed in god.



                Her first argument was, she was born a Muslim. I said this was a worthless argument because technically everyone is born an atheist. We are not born believing in a particular religion. You just happen to be born into a family that expects you to follow a certain religion after they teach it to you.



                Her next argument was about how Islam was the religion of peace and all that stuff. To this I quickly pointed out that Islam generates more religious violence than any other religion and that Islam being the religion of peace isn’t proof god exists.


                She than gave me cases where atheists turned to Islam. I in turn gave her many more cases where Muslims turned to atheism and were hung, stoned or beheaded for that, then gave her a few examples of were Muslims turned to atheism and were lucky enough to be in a tolerant country.  After which I pulled the famous Dawkings line “what is the price of apostasy” (I love that one) I than explained to her that simply because someone turns to a particular belief system doesn’t mean it’s correct. 



                After which she gave me a video pointing out the sheer impossibility of this being the outcome of the earth we live in. I than gave her a random number generator and asked her to put in the numbers one and one hundred billion. Then asked her if the result was a mirical simply because the odds were against it happening.


                Now this is not an isolated incident, I have had many debates with Muslim missionaries. And I have some tips for them



1. When attempting to convert an atheist please don’t mock Christianity, we already know it doesn’t make sense.

2. Stop calling Islam logical simply because its more logical that Christianity. It’s still illogical. If I say 1+1= 5 that’s wrong, if I say 1+1=3 that’s still wrong it’s just makes more sense because it’s closer to the answer!

3. Don’t get into an evolutionary debate saying its wrong than ask “were did the single cell organism come from?” that just makes the atheist think he or she convinced you that evolution is correct 

4 This last one is more personal than anything else. DO NOT manipulate the words of famous philosophers to suit your means. And expectably to not do it about Christian philosophers.

5. Stop posting links about how great Allah and Muhammad are. That gets boring and doesn’t prove that Islam is correct.


           So please, islamic missionaries, if you want to convert us, step up your game!

4 comments:

  1. I think Islam is a matter of 'loyalty' to the 'tribe'. Reasoning can only go so far and then it just conflicts with a religious persons emotional loyalties to their peer group. The only way such a person can get free of their Islamic background is if:

    1. They see it for the irrational BS which it is.
    and
    2.They have the guts to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I am a Christian and I found this so interesting. I'm not mocking or making light of any of this when I ask you...do you have a list for Christians? I'm very curious where the atheist feels we go wrong when talking to you about God. Peace. Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a LONG list about Christianity

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://lightoutsidethecave.blogspot.com/2011/06/come-on-christianity-you-can-do-better.html

    ReplyDelete